Marco Rose (45) has highlighted the titles as an area of improvement for Erling Braut Haaland (21), but has seen the Norwegian score twice with a header in the last two Bundesliga games and warns the competitors.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
Midfielder Mats Hummels was also impressed. With two goals against Union Berlin, Haaland now equals Robert Lewandowski in the Bundesliga’s top scorer match with seven goals in five rounds.
– He has many strengths and also works with his weaknesses, says Hummels about the head scores according to the German news agency dpa.
– Erling is simply a target machine. For the next 15 years, he will be one of the top three forwards in the world, the veteran believes.
Despite sticking 194 centimeters off the ground, there has been a long way between Erling Braut Haaland’s header goals. Prior to the 2021/22 season, Haaland had scored 57 goals for Dortmund, two of them in the lead.
More recently, before last week’s Champions League game against Besiktas, the “headlines” were something that Dortmund coach Marco Rose told TV 2 was an area in which Haaland could improve.
In the days leading up to and after the Besiktas game, Haaland has shown great strength in the header game. Both against Bayer Leverkusen and in Sunday’s win over Union Berlin, Haaland scored a header.
At Union Berlin’s post-match press conference, Rose took the time to pay tribute to Haaland’s fine heads and came with a clear warning to Dortmund’s upcoming opponents.
– If Erling continues to score with such titles, then “wow!” and “congratulations” to the rivals who will play against us, says Rose according to the team Twitter-konto.
Rose was filmed throwing a slingshot onto the field after Haaland scored with his head on Sunday, explaining at the press conference that the “kisses” were intended for right-back Thomas Meunier.
In both of Haaland’s head scores, it was Meunier who hit the posts.
– People make mistakes when they say that Erling is just a counterattack player. He has many more qualities, he is a really complete striker and that is why he also scores so many goals, Meunier tells Viaplay after Sunday’s game.
Haaland also proved to be a good counterattack player when he decided the match for Dortmund after Union Berlin fell from 3-0 to 3-2. With an exquisite lob assured the Norwegian that Dortmund won 4-2. “Goal of circus” writes German Sky Sports on the goal, that ensured that there were three victories in eight days.
– The goal contained everything that distinguishes him as a player, says Rose, continuing:
– It is will, quality and effort, says the technician according to the German news agency dpa.
Costume fight for Haaland and Dortmund: – Must be ashamed of this jersey
– All in all, we can be happy with three wins in one week. Where we have to improve is in defending dead balls, says Borussia Dortmund manager Michael Zorc after the game according to the club websites.
With eleven setbacks in five games, only four Bundesliga teams have conceded more goals than Dortmund. At the same time, only Bayern Munich (20) have scored more than Dortmund’s 17 goals, and after five rounds, Haaland’s team is in third place, one point behind Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg.