Armed police arrested one person after two people were stabbed at a Nav office in Bergen. The victims are two Nav employees. A woman in her 50s is dead.
Police received confirmation from Haukeland University Hospital that one of the two injured died from the injuries. The deceased is a woman in her 50s, police write in a press release.
The other injured person is a woman in her 30s. The police claim that she is slightly injured.
Family members have been notified.
An armed police operation was launched after the Western Police District received a report of a stabbing at Nav Årstad in Danmarksplass in Bergen at 10.02. The first police car arrived at the scene after four minutes.
Police said in a press release Monday morning that two people were found stabbed at the scene. These were taken to Haukeland University Hospital. One was confirmed dead later that day.
Police: I was on the scene after four minutes.
– This is a tragic and dramatic situation that affects many, says Police Inspector Morten Ørn, head of the Bergen, Askøy and Øygarden geographical unit.
The police defined the incident as a PLIVO incident (continuous violence that threatens life).
– We were told that the assailant was moving around the building. This perpetrator was arrested after six minutes, Ørn says.
He was then unable to answer questions related to the investigation.
Bergens tidende wrote at 11:15 AM that the alleged perpetrator was taken from the Nav building by the police. according to VG the detainee is a man in his 30s. On Monday afternoon, the police searched the address where the detained person is registered, according to Bergens Tidende.
On Monday morning, there was a large crowd of emergency services outside the Nav office. according to Bergensavisen There have been at least 15 ambulances, police cars and fire trucks at the scene.
Municipality: Two employees injured in conversation with user
Birgitte B. Lygre, Senior Communications Consultant at Nav Vestland, said BT prior to the police press release that there had been “an episode” at Nav’s office.
– We do not know exactly what has happened, but the management is in place in the office and is trying to get an overview of the situation and, not least, control the employees, said Lygre.
– Two employees are injured in an agreed conversation with a user, said the director Jostein Hestnes of the social services agency of the municipality of Bergen to Bergens tidende. He said they worked to inform other employees.
Employees from Nav’s office gathered at a hotel on Monday to be cared for by a crisis team, Nav Vestland’s deputy director tells the newspaper.
I don’t know if the attack was directed at specific people.
Task leader Synnøve Malkenes stated that the police conducted several searches of the building after the incident. The perpetrator was in talks with the police on Monday morning.
– We do not know if it was an attack directed at specific people or if it was accidental. We know that other employees were present and we have control over everyone who was inside the building at the time this happened. They are collected and cared for by health personnel on the spot, says Malkenes.