Viktor Hovland (24) humorously reveals that he has received “some punches to the face” in a joint group chat between the Ryder Cup players.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
Until the weekend stays Hovland, the first Norwegian golfer to participate in the prestigious Ryder Cup, the meeting between the United States and Europe, at the Whistling Straits track in Haven, Wisconsin.
Last week, European players created a group chat. Then Hovland really understood what he should be up to.
– Wow, we’re really going to play the Ryder Cup. I really wanted to meet the guys here and spend time with them. It’s great how we talk about everything and nothing. I hang out with players that I’ve watched the Ryder Cup play since I was very, very young. It’s an honor, Hovland tells an American journalist.
Since Hovland has lived and played in the US for many years, he was asked if he expected the Americans to cheer him on during the Ryder Cup and if he does something special with the position. It is then that Hovland reveals that he has already had to endure “a round” in group chat.
– I hope I have some fans who don’t want to bow down to us, but if it happens then it’s a good sign. Then we play good golf, says Hovland and continues:
– I’m not taking anything personal anyway. I can get slapped and I have definitely been driven into group chat. I’m probably prepared to take a beating here and there.
Ryder Cup Captain Harrington to VG: – That’s why Hovland is attractive
Hovland was also asked how he had been allowed to drive.
– There are some on the team who have found old photos of me and have fun with them. But it’s just for fun, and it makes us better known, says the 24-year-old and comes with his usual big smile and a little laugh.
When asked which players are most active in group chat and what is being talked about, Hovland responds as follows:
– Maybe it shouldn’t reveal too much, but it can be anything. They can be things that only relate to logistics or what you eat. It’s just to get to know you better. We are all quite active.
Hovland absorbs as much of the more experienced players as possible and tries to learn as much as possible.
– There are several things around logistics. What do they do when they are not playing golf. It’s more about what’s going on around them, like how they handle things. They are so calm and laid back, but at the same time enthusiastic. It’s just being around people who have a lot of security in them and letting it sink in, Hovland tells VG.
- Hovland forms the European team together with Paul Casey, Matt Fitzpatrick, Tyrrell Hatton, Tommy Fleetwood, Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm, Lee Westwood, Bernd Wiesberger, Sergio García, Shane Lorwy and Ian Poulter. Pádraig Harrington is captain.
- The USA team consists of Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Patrick Cantlay, Brooks Koepka, Collin Morikawa, Justin Thomas, Xander Schauffele, Tony Finau, Jordan Spieth, Scottie Scheffler, Daniel Berger, and Harris English. Steve Stricker is the captain.