Wednesday, October 20

Extends the crown support schemes for sports throughout the year.


The government chooses to continue with support schemes for sport and volunteering throughout the year. The compensation plan in relation to the corona pandemic would actually only last until October. There are also expectations of full stands in the near future.

SETTING: Minister of Culture and Gender Equality Abid Raja (left) together with Sports President Berit Kjøll when the report “Racism in Sports” was delivered earlier this month.

Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.

– It remains true that there may be local or regional outbreaks as Norway opens up more and so it is important for sports and volunteering to have that security. It is a difficult time for sport and volunteering, and we are happy to be able to break the news that we are extending the scheme throughout the year, says Minister of Culture and Gender Equality Abid Raja (V) to VG.

From a sporting point of view, they have wanted an extension of this type, and now they get it. So the question is how much will the plan cost?

We don’t know because we don’t know what the contagion situation looks like in every corner of the country in November or December, but we can work out that calculation in budgetary terms before the Storting closes in December. The most important thing now is that sports and volunteering can shrug their shoulders and know that if something happens they will make money. In case the plan needs to be expanded after the turn of the year, I hope that the Minister of Culture taking office will take the necessary measures.

– very gratifying

At Ullevaal Stadium, the Norwegian Sports Confederation is pleased that the government is expanding the plan.

– It is very gratifying that compensation schemes continue, although the abolition of national restrictions for sports seems imminent. Situations may still arise where municipalities introduce local infection control measures in the event of major outbreaks. This could have a negative effect on the sport, for example through orders or recommendations to cancel sporting events or other restrictions. Therefore, it is very important that predictable and sports-specific compensation schemes are maintained as long as the need exists, says sports president Berit Kjøll.

Green light for full stands next week

The professional council of the health authorities gives the go-ahead to lift all restrictions on spectators in Norwegian sports stadiums over the next week.

This morning, the National Institute of Public Health and the Norwegian Health Directorate presented the professional advice before the government press conference at 12.30 pm.

Sports stadiums are not directly mentioned in the academic base, but the government has previously announced that the subway rule and restrictions related to events and meetings will disappear with a new reopening of the society.

The sport has long fought for more spectators at Norwegian sporting events. There is currently a 50 percent capacity limit in a sports hall or stadium for people with a crown certificate and where there are permanent seats.

Outside, a maximum of 10,000 spectators can be admitted. This, among other things, has had consequences for the best clubs and for how many have been able to enter the Ullevaal Stadium in connection with international matches.

The head of the NFF expected a full opening

NFF chief Pål Bjerketvedt stated early Friday that he expects the restrictions on viewers to be lifted when the government announces further measures on Norway’s reopening.

– Football now has first and foremost expectations that spectator restrictions will be lifted or that we will at least have the opportunity to expand capacity from the current level. It is very important for both the clubs and the national teams, wrote General Secretary Pål Bjerketvedt in an SMS to NTB.

National team manager Ståle Solbakken strongly opposed the government after the World Cup qualifying match against the Netherlands on September 1, when only 7,000 were allowed in. Health Minister Bent Høie responded that football received special treatment during the corona pandemic and thought Solbakken’s proposal was in solidarity with the rest of the sport.

Bjerketvedt says he also hopes the inbound quarantine will be eased as well.

– We have had exceptions for football, but for the best Norwegian sports this will make everyday life easier, he says.


www.aftenposten.no

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *