(Manchester United 0-1 Aston Villa) Ole Gunnar Solskjær delivered the first blow of the season in the Premier League. Aston Villas Kortney Hause (26) scored and took penalties late in the match. That penalty kick dropped United’s Bruno Fernandes (27).
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
– Of course I am disappointed because I was offside in goal. It’s a shame that we made that decision against us, says Solskjær after the match.
The defining moment came when Kortney Hause walked around a corner and stabbed the guests up front two minutes before full time.
What Solskjær reacted to was how Ollie Watkins covered Gea da Hause’s head, but the referee did not see any violations and the VAR did not connect either.
– As soon as the ball hit my head, I knew it would go in, says Hause on the scoreboard.
The midfielder, who had been given a chance in the absence of Axel Tuanzebe, cheered uncontrollably for the goal, but the joy quickly turned to despair. In extra time, the hero Hause drove in his own field and suddenly the victory seemed to smoke.
– I was heartbroken and mad at myself. Justice prevailed in the end, because I think it was not a penalty, says Hause after the game.
Gabriel Jesus ensured the perfect rematch for City after the final defeat in the Champions League
Cristiano Ronaldo probably wanted to take the penalty, but it was his compatriot Bruno Fernandes who prepared. Several players gathered beforehand around the chalk mark, possibly to annoy the Portuguese. He threw the ball very high from 11 meters and threw a point for United.
– I don’t like how they came together around the penalty spot. Bruno is usually very good in those situations, but unfortunately he missed this time, says Solskjær.
– You can’t blame him for receiving the punishment. But with his stats, you don’t expect him to be penalized like that, says former Premier League player Michael Owen.
Fernandes got some comforting words from Ronaldo afterwards, but they probably won’t help much.
Manchester United is usually a nightmare opponent for Aston Villa. Only one of the last 45 games has been victorious for “Los Villans,” and the odds weren’t on their side this time, either.
United are off to a good start to this year’s Premier League season and were a huge favorite before the game. But the hosts had trouble outwitting Emi Martinez in Villa’s cage. He propelled the guests against David de Gea at the opposite end of the field.
Villa’s first win over Manchester United since 2009 is a fact. Since then, the teams have met 17 times.
– I think Gabriel Agbonlahor scored the winning goal at that time. There had to be another victory and we have played well in recent weeks. This gives the players a great deal of faith, Villa manager Dean Smith tells the BBC.
It was amazing that the teams went goalless at halftime. Villa had the biggest chances, with a boom in an almost open goal and only against De Gea. At the opposite end of the field, Pogba, Fernandes, Greenwood, Ronaldo and Maguire formed a machine gun of enormous opportunities, but that would not be the case with the Solskjær gallery of stars.
Both teams continued to create chances after the break, but it wasn’t until the end that it fully took off. There it was Villa who better took advantage of the occasions.
Zero goals and two injuries to important players were the result of Solskjær. Before the break, Luke Shaw had to throw in the towel, and after the break, Harry Maguire suffered the same fate. Two out of every four players on the defensive line come out, but it is not yet known how seriously injured the two England team players are.
– Right now it doesn’t seem like they can play on Wednesday, but we’ll see, says Solskjær.