(Manchester United 2-1 Villarreal) Manchester United was played at times by Villarreal. Then Cristiano Ronaldo (36) appeared on the back post in extra time.
1 of 7Photo: Peter Powell / EPA
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
– That’s why I came back, because I missed this club. I have made history in this club and I want to do it again. Another chapter in history, Ronaldo tells BT Sport.
The 36-year-old hit the ball into the goal in front of Stretford End, ripping off his shirt and cheering without restriction after deciding the match for Manchester United, who had serious problems against Villarreal.
Ole Gunnar Solskjær applauded the tough life on the wings, and in the stands Sir Alex Ferguson grinned from ear to ear. So did the once-fastest man in the world, Usain Bolt, who was also at Old Trafford.
– That’s what’s happening at Old Trafford. We had to put the yellow flag aside and were lucky in the end, Ole Gunnar Solskjær tells BT Sports after the match.
Cristiano Ronaldo, who until the goal had an anonymous night at work, took another record: he played his 178th Champions League match on Wednesday. No one has more in the most generous club tournament in the world.
He is already the top scorer in the Champions League of all time with 136 goals in the tournament, and once again he was decisive.
The scoreboard came when the game clock read 94.13, and it is the last goal of Manchester United’s victory in the Champions League. Ronaldo thus takes the “record” of his own boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjær, who became the hero in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich in 1999 when the match was 92 minutes and 17 seconds.
– When you have Cristiano on the field, you always have a chance, says Solskjær.
– He’s so good in the face of goal, and it affects everyone. Spectators and teammates alike, he praises the Norwegian even more, adding that the adrenaline rush makes him barely get a good night’s sleep.
Because it was far, far away for the red devils.
Alex Telles had already leveled 1-1 with a dream volley shot, shortly after Paco Alcácer gave Villarreal a well-deserved lead.
Villarreal occasionally played for Manchester United, but David de Gea, the scapegoat from their previous encounter in the yellow jerseys, showed his best side and took a kind of revenge after several fantastic saves.
– I always had faith that we would win, Bruno Fernandes tells BT Sports after the game.
– There were some fantastic saves from David that ensured it was still 1-1, he adds.
De Gea’s best save came after just over 17 minutes, when he accelerated with one arm after a header from a well-placed Paco Alcácer.
Unai Emery and Villarreal had many chances, and more effectively they could have punctured the game long before the break. But Manchester United rose up after Alcacer burned a boiling hole with his goal in the 53rd minute, eventually taking the first fall Champions League points, after they opened Group F with a disappointing loss. 1-2 against the Swiss Young Boys.
– It is almost shocking to see Manchester United playing with a team that is in the middle of the Spanish league table. It’s a sporting crisis, was the verdict of TV 2 expert Morten Langli after the first round at Old Trafford.
Messi with a dream goal in the victory of PSG
But as so many times before, Cristiano Ronaldo, who now holds the title as the one with the most matches and goals in the Champions League, was decisive, and contributed three very important points for Ole Gunnar Solskjær & co., Which has a potential for the month that defines the season ahead of him.
In October, the Red Devils will face Everton, Leicester, Atalanta, Liverpool and Tottenham.
Atalanta leads the group after two rounds with four points. They fought for a 1-0 victory over Young Boys on Wednesday night.