(Manchester United 2-1 Villarreal) A scoreboard in Cristiano Ronaldo’s extra time ensured a very important victory for Ole Gunnar Solskjær (48) and Manchester United. The Norwegian changer proved to play a very important role.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
In the last quarter, Manchester United made four changes in search of the decisive goal. Paul Pogba, Jadon Sancho, Alex Telles and Mason Greenwood were replaced, while Nemanja Matic, Edinson Cavani, Fred and Jesse Lingard entered.
Two weeks ago, it was precisely Lingard who presented the victory of the Young Boys in the first match of the group stage of the Champions League. On Wednesday he also had the goal pass, but this time to Cristiano Ronaldo. Beforehand, it was Fred who hit the post, while Cavani was involved just before.
– You must praise Ole Gunnar Solskjær. The substitutions changed the game and gave United the lead in the game. I was surprised by Pogba’s change, but I think Matic came in and controlled midfield, says former Irish national team player and BBC soccer expert Clinton Morrison.
– Matic and Lingard did very well after entering. Even Fred on the left back worked with that post. Cavani also energetic, we need to see more of him. Solskjær got it right with tonight’s changes, writes Dominic booth i Manchester Evening News.
– Ole Gunnar Solskjær receives a lot of criticism when it is too late with the changes, but tonight he deserves praise for being right, he writes. Rich fay i Manchester Evening News.
– Jesse was probably not happy with playing more, but he comes in and influences the game. That’s what you do as a substitute at this club, Solskjær tells BT Sport.
Former Manchester United striker Michael Owen says in the BT Sport studio that Manchester United leans too far toward one-man performances, but:
– In the last ten minutes, it felt more like a team. They were much better, says Owen.
– The whole team will be hundreds in the locker room tonight and it’s those moments that can define a season, says former Manchester United player Owen Hargreaves.
Record-breaking Ronaldo saved Manchester United in extra time
Ole Gunnar Solskjær has come under fire several times before during his tenure as Manchester United manager for lack of substitutes. When Manchester United lost last season’s Europa League final to Villarreal, it was after Manchester United lost the lead in the match in extra innings.
When Manchester United lost to Young Boys two weeks ago, Peter Schmeichel was one of those who criticized Solskjær’s replacement, the moment he replaced Cristiano Ronaldo with Jesse Lingard and Frenchman Anthony Martial entered towards the end of the match. .
– We, as fans, want to have Ronaldo on the field, regardless of whether they have a man sent off. If he receives the ball, then he can make something happen, Schmeichel said according to Daily mail.
Against Villarreal, Ronaldo really made “something happen” towards the end.