ISTANBUL (VG) Patrick Berg (23) only played his eighth international game and was the only Eliteserien player in the starting lineup, but garners praise after literally running until the cramp took him away.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
VG, TV 2 and Nettavisen had the captain of Bodø / Glimt as Norway’s best player with 7 out of 10 on the stock exchange.
During the match, former national team captain Stefan Johansen wrote “Patrick Berg BB 1 round!” on Twitter, and was supported by the national team manager, Ståle Solbakken.
– As long as the forces hold, I agree. He was very, very good until he was prone to seizures, says Ståle Solbakken at the press conference.
– What is it that makes it so good?
– It’s his calm and his passes for the future, but not least his positional game, so he played a very, very good game.
However, the rose does not stop there. Former national team forward Egil Østenstad, with past Viking, Southampton, Blackburn, Manchester City and Rangers, goes so far as to claim that Patrick Berg is “the best Berg ever.”
Jan-Åge Fjørtoft responds that Grandpa Harald “Dutte” Berg must remain the best.
– Tipper both “Dutte” and Ørjan agree with me, Østenstad responds to Fjørtoft’s objection. He also claims that he has not forgotten how good his father Ørjan was in the early 2000s. Also not to forget Uncle Runar, who was very good for Rosenborg in the Champions League in the late 1990s.
– I feel like they showed me my strengths and how I am as a player. It was a lot of fun gaining trust from the beginning and I feel like I took care of it, says Patrick Berg on TV 2.
Many were surprised when the Bodø / Glimt player was replaced by Fredrik Aursnes in the fourth quarter.
– I had a little sensation in my thigh, which I have since last weekend. Nothing serious, Berg reassures.
Ståle Solbakken chose to change the formation from the one he used in the previous three international matches.
– It’s 4-3-3, as I know it. I feel safe and good with Martin (Ødegaard) and Morten (Thorsby) with me in the middle. I feel like we form a nice, powerful midfield trio, Berg tells TV 2.
Also in the north, they are impressed by the 23-year-old’s match.
– God for a player who is Patrick Berg, he controls everything on the field tonight, writes Amahl Pellegrino on Twitter.
The Bodø / Glimt player has a contract with the Norwegian league leader until December 2022. Dutchman Heerenveen had an offer for the midfield anchor rejected this summer.
– There has been a concrete interest, he confirmed to VG in August:
– But the way things are now, I really relate to the fact that the ball is with Glimt. They are the ones who need to know if it is the right time to sell now that we are facing an important autumn. I think they feel very much that they want to have everyone with them by the fall. And I understand it very well, he said.