Witnesses heard screams and several shots at the scene. Police confirm that an official was injured. They are looking for several potentially hurt or threatening people.
Police ended in a clash in Bislett on Tuesday morning.
• A man was shot by the police.
• Police were notified of a person threatening with a knife shortly before 9. Witnesses heard screams and several shots at the scene.
• A police officer is injured in the incident.
• We are now looking for more possible injured or threatened people.
Police confirmed to NRK that the person who was shot by police in Bislett in Oslo on Tuesday is dead.
Police also say they think they know who the person is.
Police tried to scare away the alleged perpetrator
The leader of the Oslo police task force, Torgeir Brenden, says they received the first report at 8:57.
– A person has attacked people with a knife at Therese Gate in Bislett, he says.
He further claims that a patrol was nearby and ended in an arrest. Brenden claims that the patrol attempted to run over the person while the alleged perpetrator stabbed a person. Later, the police were attacked by this person with a knife, says task leader Brenden.
He says there is more than one civilian who has been attacked by the man besides a police officer.
– How many people are working with us to get an overview? He says.
The task force leader says a perpetrator was shot when attacking the police officer during the dramatic arrest.
– The person who was shot was injured and the police took her to Ullevål, says the task manager.
You don’t know how many shots were fired.
– There is no doubt that this was a serious and continuous act of violence and that they did everything possible to avoid injuries, says the chief of task about the police.
An official was injured in connection with the arrest. He is not seriously injured.
– As of now, we have no information that there will be any more perpetrators, says Brenden.
It says there is no indication that the victims in the case were anything other than accidental victims.
– We still have an active search in the area to see if there may be more injuries, although nothing indicates that.
Much of the street is closed and the Aftenposten journalist can only see an ambulance at the scene. He left the scene shortly before noon. 10.
A police car has crashed into the wall at the Therese Gate / Sporveisgata intersection. It is now covered with tarp. Nearby, the police are now setting up their own shop. They do this to preserve the evidence.
There are still a large number of policemen at the scene.
I heard screams and gunshots
Several witnesses relate the confrontation at Bislett in central Oslo.
– We saw a man with a big knife and the police ran him over. He threatened a woman and the police beat him twice, I think, before they shot themselves, Simen Røssland tells Aftenposten.
Witnesses after the Bislett attack: – Police beat him several times
Several videos of the arrest are currently circulating. One shows that a police car ran over the alleged perpetrator along the tram track, after he stopped next to the police car and threatened him with a large knife.
Another video shows the alleged perpetrator being beaten again and pushed into a store building. The man breaks free and then quickly climbs onto the passenger side of the police car and attacks the officer in the passenger seat with the knife.
The Police Directorate is ordering temporary police weapons throughout the country after the incident.
– The role of the Police Directorate is to evaluate and implement measures that ensure good preparation and management throughout the country. All police districts in the country have been notified of the situation and are temporarily armed to increase police preparedness and response capacity, says Police Director Benedicte Bjørnland in a Press release.
At Ullevål Hospital, several police patrols, including armed police, have also been observed.
A police patrol was nearby when the incident occurred.
– Based on the fact that he actively tried to attack people at the scene, we can imagine that he would have continued if the police had not been at the scene, says task leader Torgeir Brenden.
Two eyewitnesses have heard a woman scream. One of the witnesses saw a man come running with a naked torso. He was carrying what is described as “a large knife”. A witness also tells NRK that the man was barefoot.
One of Online newspaper journalists claim to have witnessed the incident. The journalist describes a dramatic sequence of events when the police tried to gain control of a man who ran after a woman with a knife in his hand.
According to Nettavisen, the police shot the man.
The special unit has been notified
The special unit has been notified that the police shot a person at Bislett in Oslo.
– The special unit has initiated a mandatory investigation although there is no reason to suspect that a criminal act has occurred, they write in their websites.
Justice Minister Emilie Enger Mehl has been informed of the incident, NTB reports.
Do you have any advice in the case? Email us at [email protected]