The Norwegian Medicines Agency has received 27 reports of possible serious side effects from vaccines for children. The proportion of messages of this type is much lower than that of adults.
Most Norwegian children between the ages of 12 and 17 were vaccinated this fall. 336,000 doses were set.
In September, the government advocated vaccinating children for up to 12 years later. tip of the National Institute of Public Health.
Now, for the first time, figures are available showing how many reports of possible side effects have been received.
And the numbers are good news, according to the Norwegian Medicines Agency.
What side effects did the children suffer?
Children themselves, parents, and all health professionals can report side effects.
And they do.
Since vaccination began, the Norwegian Medicines Agency has received 40,000 such notifications.
- The 336,000 doses of vaccines for children and adolescents between the ages of 12 and 17 led to 192 reports of possible side effects.
- 27 children experienced what are classified as possible serious side effects.
- A boy developed inflammation of the heart muscle. And a child has inflammation in the heart sac.
Is this a lot or a little?
- For all those vaccinated in Norway, the number of reports of possible serious side effects is 35 per. 100,000 doses of Comirnaty (Pfizer) and 41 of Spikevax (Moderna).
- After vaccination of children and young people, there have been eight such reports per year. 100,000 doses.
– We must be able to say that these are not many reports after so many young people have been vaccinated, says Chief Medical Officer Sigurd Hortemo of the Norwegian Medicines Agency.
– My assessment is that this is reassuring. It is good news that we have received so few messages.
The Norwegian Medicines Agency believes that this shows that children tolerate the vaccine well.
Most people have only received one dose.
There are several reasons why mapping this is important.
In the past, there have been many reports of many reports of heart inflammation among young men in their 20s and 30s.
– When it comes to vaccinating children, we know that the benefit is less than for the elderly. Very few children get sick. So the benefit-risk picture is not so obvious. That is why it is important. If we had reported many serious incidents, it would have been regrettable and we would have moved on.
What is the big picture?
Eight million doses of vaccines have already been established in this country. So far, the Norwegian Medicines Agency has processed 3,591 reports of possible serious side effects. 47 percent of them led to hospitalization.
2,351 of the serious messages are for women, while 1,230 are for men.
204 deaths have been reported among vaccinated people after taking the Pfizer vaccine, 14 deaths after Moderna and 6 after Astra Zeneca.
This does not mean that there is a causal relationship with the vaccine. But all messages are followed and examined to see if the vaccine has had any effect.
Earlier, a group of experts found that 10 out of 100 deaths after Pfizer were likely due to vaccines. Most were elderly and very frail residents of nursing homes.
197 cases of pericarditis
There are two possible side effects in particular that have caused more concern in the past: Inflammation of the heart sac or heart muscle.
What do the latest messages show for all those vaccinated?
- As of November 9, a total of 197 cases of inflammation of the pericardium (pericarditis) have been reported.
- In addition, 106 cases of inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis) have been reported.
A Nordic study, in which FHI also participated, indicated a higher risk of using Spikevax (Moderna) as a second dose, than for Comirnaty (Pfizer).
This has already had consequences.
Sweden stopped all use of Moderna for people under the age of 30 earlier this fall. In Norway, NIPH advised that people under the age of 30 should consider choosing Pfizer over Moderna.
Is the effect of the vaccines weakened?
One of the most important questions now is how much the effect of vaccines diminishes over time. So far, 415 fully vaccinated people between the ages of 65 and 84 have been admitted to the hospital with COVID-19.
- Eighty percent belonged to risk groups, which are at higher risk of becoming seriously ill from the virus.
- 109 fully vaccinated have died of covid.
- They became infected between two weeks and eight months after being vaccinated.
However, so far only 51 cases of infection, of which 11 deaths, have been reported as possible side effects.
– It is a sub-registry of suspected cases of vaccine failure, says Hortemo.