Opponents of the military coup in Sudan called for new demonstrations on Sunday to demand the return of civilian power, despite the crackdown that has left at least 40 people dead since the putsch almost a month ago, according to doctors.
The United States and the African Union (AU) condemned the bloody crackdown on protests and called for avoiding the use of “excessive force”. The Ambassador of Norway, member of the Troika on Sudan with the United States and Great Britain, denounced an “intolerable” repression.
On October 25, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhane, army chief and author of the coup, reshuffled the cards for a shaky transition in Sudan. He arrested almost all civilians in power, put an end to the sacred union formed by civilians and soldiers and declared a state of emergency.
Since then, protests against the army and calling for the return of civilian power have taken place mainly in Khartoum, and have often been suppressed.
On Saturday, pro-democracy activists called on social networks to demonstrate en masse on Sunday against the coup with the hashtag “The March of the Million on November 21”.
The Association of Sudanese Professionals (APS), one of the spearheads of the popular uprising of 2019 which pushed the army to oust General Omar al-Bashir after 30 years in power, called on the Sudanese to maintain the pressure for a return of civil power.
And this despite the muscular intervention of the police against the demonstrators.
– “Raids” –
Wednesday November 17 was the deadliest day since the coup d’état with the deaths of 16 people, most of them in Khartoum-Nord, a suburb linked to Khartoum by a bridge over the Nile, according to a union of pro-democracy doctors.
One of the 16 people died of his injuries on Saturday. “A 16-year-old boy shot in the head and leg on November 17 is a martyr,” the union said in a statement.
His death brings the number of people, including teenagers, killed in protests since October 25 to 40. The vast majority are protesters.
Police say they never opened fire on the protesters. She only identifies one dead and 30 injured among them due, according to her, to tear gas, against 89 injured police officers.
Small groups of protesters marched through Khartoum on Friday but were dispersed by security forces with tear gas.
According to the APS, the security forces “launched raids against houses and mosques in Khartoum” on Friday.
– “Hopes showered” –
After the violence escalated, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Thursday he was “deeply concerned” about the crackdown and urged the military to allow peaceful protests, reiterating the need to “restore the US-led transition. civilians “.
The AU, which suspended Sudan, also condemned Wednesday’s crackdown “in the strongest terms” and called for “restoring constitutional order and democratic transition,” according to a statement on Saturday.
For its part, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has demanded the release of reporters arrested while covering the protests, including Ali Farsab who the organization said was beaten, shot and detained on Wednesday.
Faced with calls for the return of civil power, General Burhane remains inflexible. He renamed himself at the head of the highest institution of the transition, the Sovereignty Council, and renewed all its military or pro-army members and appointed apolitical civilians.
The military, on the other hand, is slow to appoint a new government that they had been promising for weeks after Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok was sidelined, placed under house arrest.
For the Norwegian Ambassador, Therese Loken Gheziel, the world had “great hopes” in Sudan, which were showered by a coup “which took us by surprise”.