Friday, January 21

Lamine Diack: the former president of the International Athletics Federation has died

The former president of the international athletics federation Lamine Diack passed away at the age of 88 on the night of Thursday 2 to Friday 3 December in Dakar. The announcement was made by local media and his family confirmed the death to Agence France-Presse.

Over the years, Lamine Diack had become a person of importance in Senegal, the country where he was born. He was mayor of Dakar from 1978 to 1980 and parliamentarian from 1978 to 1993. This Friday at midday, the causes of his death had not been communicated.

Lamine Diack was the first non-European person to lead the International Athletics Federation from 1999 to 2015. However, he was overtaken by scandals which tarnished his reputation, as well as that of the International Athletics Federation. . Cases that prevented him from returning to Senegal for many years.

In 2015, Lamine Diack was indicted in France in the doping case in Russia. He was suspected of having covered doping cases. In September 2020, he was sentenced to four years in prison, two of which were firm, as well as a fine of 500,000 euros for corruption and breach of trust. However, he had appealed. The date of his retrial had not yet been set.

On March 27, 2019, the former president of the International Athletics Federation was once again indicted for corruption. This file concerned the process of awarding the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio and those of 2020 in Tokyo, as well as the 2015, 2017 and 2019 World Athletics Championships which took place in Beijing, London and Qatar respectively. The trial date had not yet been given and he was therefore not tried.

In this second case, the judges confiscated the passport of Lamine Diack, who was prohibited from leaving French territory. He was able to recover it recently, under conditions. He had to pay the sum of 500,000 euros, which corresponded to the fine incurred in this case. In addition, he had to make himself available to respond to court summons. In May 2021, he was finally able to return home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *