Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s successor met the press for the first time as Manchester United manager on Friday morning.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as an Aftenposten reader, you also get articles and services created by VG.
– This is a huge club. Perhaps the world’s largest. I’m really looking forward to working with the players we have here. It is a big challenge, but I look forward to it, Rangnick said during Friday’s press conference.
While Michael Carrick led the team to its third straight victory against Arsenal on Thursday night, the German manager observed the match from the stands. Now the visa is in order, and Rangnick is ready to lead the team against Crystal Palace on Sunday.
Many are probably excited about the impact “The Godfather of Gegenpress” will have on the team immediately. The German will have his first training session at Carrington later today. The 63-year-old is clear on how he will attack the job.
– I’ve seen the last few matches. It is obvious that the team has a lot of talent. The goal for me in the next few weeks is to get more balance into it. Yesterday we conceded two goals. It’s too much. I will help the team gain more control over the matches. For me, it is about minimizing the risk of coincidences coming into play, says the German, who also points out that he tried to persuade Michael Carrick to join.
The caretaker manager resigned after yesterday’s victory against Arsenal:
Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United – Ødegaard in the lead role in a highly dramatic match
In particular, the question of Cristiano Ronaldo’s ability to push and be a good first defender has been raised since Rangnick’s entry became known. The German is known for demanding a lot from his players. The Ronaldo question came naturally during Friday’s meeting with the press.
– You always have to adapt to the players you have. Not the other way around. He is a brilliant player. I have never seen a 36-year-old at that level. He still makes a huge difference. Now it’s about how we can develop the team. Not just Cristiano. This is the toughest league in the whole world, where we need every man. But what I saw of him yesterday signaled that he is more than willing to do the job needed.
When Ole Gunnar Solskjær came in as interim manager in December 2018, he did his things so well that the appointment was made permanent a few months later. Rangnick does not rule out seizing the same opportunity should it come.
– The club has been very clear that it is a matter of six months as manager. We have not talked about what will happen this summer. Now they’re looking for another manager, but if they turn to me, we’ll see what happens. This is currently only hypothetical.
Manchester United fans warn Solskjær marking: – Never thanked him properly
Rangnick was naturally asked what he can achieve when it comes to table placement. Currently, there are three points up to the important 4th place.
He makes no secret of the fact that the distance to Chelsea, Manchester City and Liverpool is probably in the biggest team.
– The goal is to win the next match, but we only have a couple of training sessions together before that. It’s not easy to get in the middle of the season, but it’s about winning games. Like the club, I have big ambitions. But we must be realistic. We want to create a season that is as successful as possible, says the manager.
Ralf Rangnick takes over Manchester United as interim manager
Rangnick received an offer from Chelsea earlier this year. Instead, it was Thomas Tuchel who came in and made immediate success. The reason why Ragnnick refused to join the London club is severalfold.
– When Chelsea contacted me in February, they only talked about a period of four months. There was no perspective on working together anymore. Here we are talking about almost seven months. In addition, we have agreed on a consulting role for two years. And to be honest, it’s hard to turn down such an opportunity when Manchester United make an inquiry.
Rangnick left his role as director of Russia’s Lokomotiv Moscow with immediate effect to try to get the Manchester United ship back on track.