Romelu Lukaku (28) became the most expensive Chelsea player of all time when he returned to London this summer, but since then things have not gone smoothly for the Belgian.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as an Aftenposten reader, you also get articles and services created by VG.
– Physically I am fine, but I am not happy with the situation in Chelsea, says Romelu Lukaku in an interview with Italian Sky Sports.
This summer’s big purchase has struggled with injuries this season, but has returned and scored two goals in the last two league games.
Now he comes up with what can be interpreted as a stab at Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel.
– Tuchel has chosen to play with another system, but I do not give up. I am not happy with the situation, but I am a professional and can not give up now, he says.
The interview has provoked reactions on social media.
– I hope for Chelsea and Lukaku’s part that there is something wrong with the translation, writes Jan Åge Fjørtoft on Twitter, before he later concludes that the translation is correct.
– This represents a real problem for Tuchel. The Lukaku signing was supposed to be the last piece in the hunt for the Premier League title, but he says out loud what has been obvious for a while: They are struggling to find a way to play on his strengths, writes ESPN writer James Olley.
In the interview with Italian Sky, Romelu Lukaku also says that he regrets the way he left Inter and that he hopes that he can return later in his career.
The Belgian striker returned to Chelsea this summer, seven years after leaving the club, for a transfer fee that was reported to be a staggering 97.5 million pounds, according to Sky, The Athletic and Belgian HLN. This corresponded to around NOK 1.2 billion.
Lukaku came on and scored and provided a penalty kick when Aston Villa on Boxing Day, before heading Chelsea into the lead in the 1-1 draw against Brighton on Wednesday night.
– I’m surprised by what he does. In fact, I’m very surprised, because I do not know how long he can do it, Thomas Tuchel said of Lukaku after Wednesday’s match.
– I’m surprised because he was out for six or eight weeks, then he tried to come back from covid disease and after that he had a workout and then “run”, Tuchel continued.