Cecilia Brækhus (40) has decided to go up a weight class, and will soon be back in the ring.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as an Aftenposten reader, you also get articles and services created by VG.
Brækhus is aware that his adventurous boxing career is not over. She will write a final chapter, which will end with a World Cup belt in super welterweight – the class above where she has ravaged for many years.
– What do you think will be a worthy end to your career and how long do you envision holding on?
– I want to end my career with a World Cup belt. Because of Covid, his career has been extended for the year at least, Brækhus writes in an e-mail to VG.
VG +: Special: All the fights, facts, photos and videos from his career
Right now she is staying in Chicago, and has started the run-up to what will be her 39th professional match.
Brækhus was ranked as the world’s best female boxer regardless of weight class, however lost its first match against Jessica McCaskill in August 2020.
Watch professional boxing on VG + Sport live tonight:
Brækhus does not post: – Will box as long as I have fun
It became a new one points loss in the return match in March last year, and since then it has been quiet except that she has claimed that the career is certainly not over.
It is now confirmed.
In a press release on the main sponsor’s website Betsson Brækhus confirms that she is now going up a weight class, and justifies it with the fact that the weight cutting for the last few matches was far too tough.
In super welterweight (69.9 kg), the British Hanna Rankin (WBA), Canadian Marie-Eve Dicaire (IBF), Swedish Patricia Berghult (WBC) and American Claressa Shields (WBO) who currently each have their own World Cup belt.
– We are in negotiations and just waiting for all the details to fall into place before we announce the match. There are many exciting names in this weight class, Brækhus writes.
Dicaire is scheduled to defend his World Cup title at a meet in Montreal on April 21, but the opponent is not ready. Shields will meet Ema Kozin in Cardiff on 5 February in middleweight (72.6 kg) where all the World Cup belts are in the pot.
Back to the old coach
Brækhus will immediately go to Miami for training camp with Gennady Golovkin and their joint coach Johnathon Banks. Brækhus had Banks as coach for several years, but in his last three games it is Abel Sanchez who has had the coaching responsibility.
– What led to it being Banks again?
– The style of Johnathon is more natural for me. He stands for a very technical style with a lot of footwork. I’m traveling to Miami next week.