Lack of precipitation creates trouble for Oslo’s water supply. The municipality recommends austerity measures.
The case is being updated.
Little precipitation and rehabilitation of some water facilities are to blame for the fact that there is now less water than usual in Oslo’s water supplies. This is stated by the City of Oslo in a press release.
Therefore, the Water and Sewerage Authority asks everyone in Oslo to be careful with water use. If not, the capital may face water shortages, according to the municipality.
– Our water reservoirs, which are connected to Maridalsvannet, are now at a relatively low level. To prevent water shortages in the future, we will have to ask the people of Oslo to be sober with water use, says Anna Maria Aursund, director of the Water and Sewerage Authority in Oslo.
The agency is now in the process of securing more water for the capital. Among other things, it will be transferred from Bærum municipality and Nedre Romerike waterworks. According to the municipality, there will be volumes of 200 and 100 liters per second.
If the precipitation is not much longer, the municipality must consider further measures.
The municipality wants you to use the small button on the toilet
Aursund claims in the press release that you do not have to worry about being greeted by an empty crane in the very first place.
– Small measures in everyday life can together save a lot of water, she says.
– If we all make a small effort now, it can be of great importance for the water supply throughout the spring, it is further stated.
And Oslo Municipality has several tips for efforts the citizens can help with. The list is:
- Take shorter showers and turn off the water while applying soap or shampoo.
- Do not run the tap while brushing your teeth.
- Use eco-program on the dishwasher.
- Save the laundry until the washing machine is completely full.
- Use the “little button” on the toilet when pulling down.
Shows vulnerable water supply
Today, Maridalsvannet is mainly where most of Oslo’s drinking water comes from. Some also come from rivers and other lakes in the countryside.
– That we must save water once again highlights how vulnerable the current water supply is, and how important the construction of the new water supply from Holsfjorden is for the safety of Oslo citizens in the future, says Aursund in the press release.
One of the other lakes is Gjerdingen. This is currently completely drained to rehabilitate the facility, the municipality states.