The July 22 terrorist does not get his wish to be released on probation fulfilled. The Telemark District Court ruled on Tuesday.
The verdict came at 4 pm on Tuesday afternoon and is clear in its conclusion: There will be no parole on Breivik.
On 22 July 2011, Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people in the government quarter and on Utøya. For that, he was sentenced to 21 years in custody.
The minimum time the terrorist had to serve was set at ten years. He has now served time for over ten years, and therefore Anders Behring Breivik wants to be released from custody on probation.
The prosecution believes that there is no way that can be accepted. The public prosecutor believes that the 42-year-old, who has changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, must still be in custody to protect society. They think he is too dangerous to be released.
In January, the parties met in Telemark District Court for three days. In the last week, judge Dag Bjørvik (68) and his co-judges have written on the verdict.
The judges say, among other things:
- “The accused appeared to be devoid of empathy and compassion for the victims of the terror.”
- “His verbal assurances and his words of honor are of little value, even if he should mean it as he says it.”
- “As the court sees it, the accused lacks insight both about himself and into what he will face if he were to be released from prison.”
Used the court as a scene
In the fight to be released from custody, Anders Behring Breivik used his days in the courtroom in Skien prison as a stage.
He has pasted messages about alleged genocide on the mouthpiece, suit and bag. He has held up posters in front of the photographers and made the Nazi salute to the judge.
Even when he entered the last day of court in Skien, he did everything he could to proclaim his right-wing extremist ideological dreams.
– He is nurtured by publicity. I think it hurts to see, said prosecutor Hulda Karlsdottir in her procedure.
The public prosecutor reiterated that she believes Breivik is as dangerous as in 2012, and that society must still be protected against him. The same applies to those who look after him in prison every day, and the psychiatrist who has assessed his risk of violence nine times in ten years.
There is no remorse, no change in how he thinks. The risk of violence is the same as ten years ago, they believe.
Defender: Not a PR stunt
Øystein Storrvik, Breivik’s defender, said in his procedure that the trial is not a PR stunt. He called the case a safety valve.
– There are no substitute motives. It is to give legitimacy to an indefinite sentence, the defender said.
He told the judges that one can think a lot about the terrorist’s political thoughts.
– But what must be considered is whether it triggers and indicates a danger of repetition of criminal acts, Storrvik said.
He believes Breivik gets zero trust in prison and that the Prison and Probation Service is obliged, according to the law, to facilitate a sentence that has the goal of a life in freedom, whether it is unrealistic or not.
– It does not have to mean that he will ever go out, Storrvik said, and dropped the claim for release on the terms that are proposed.