Saturday, December 4

Norway ready for Olympic quarterfinals after thriller against France

TOKYO / OSLO (VG) (Norway – France 32-29) The Norwegian handball boys were on the verge of losing the lead against France, but they got the victory. Now they are ready for the quarterfinals of the Olympics.

Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.

The Norwegian men’s handball team came into the match against France with two losses in four games in the bag, and they really had the knife to the throat to advance from the group stage at the Olympics. France, meanwhile, had won all four of their matches and were already ready for the quarter-finals as group champions.

It was a thriller, but Norway finally got away with victory and is ready for the quarterfinals of the Olympics.

After the match, Harald Reinkind had to carry off Sander Sagosen after a heated discussion with several French players. The Trøndelag star was clearly upset after a situation in the final seconds.

HOT DISCUSSION: Sander Sagosen was upset in the final seconds.

– Norway was the best team. It’s a great team. They played poorly against Germany, but we knew they would give everything they had today, says French player Nedim Remili to VG, who was very upset by the two Norwegian injuries of Magnus Abelvik Rød and Christian O’Sullivan.

The teams closely followed each other in a fast-paced opening, with only one goal remaining before Sagosen beat Norway 11-9 after just 20 minutes. Kevin Gulliksen increased to a three-goal lead shortly after, before Magnus Gullerud made it 13-9.

also read

Folkebørsen: the breakthrough

France quickly closed the gap to 13-12, before Nikola Karabatic finally tied at 14-14. Goals from Sagosen and Elverum player Luc Abalo late in the first half made it 15-15, before Norway had a chance for a penalty in the final second of the round. For the fourth time in the first round, Norway missed a penalty, this time at Gulliksen.

The penalty shootout crisis was immediately unraveled in the second half, when O’Sullivan scored Norway’s fifth penalty of the game even before the minute was up in the second half. The same man scored another penalty five minutes later when he tied at 19-19.

PUNISHED: Christian O’Sullivan scored on two penalties before going out with injury.

O’Sullivan had to leave with injury in the 38th minute, but then Sagosen took responsibility from the penalty spot and tied at 20-20.

Norway moved up to a two-goal lead to 23-21, but France returned to 24-24. From there, Norway moved up to a three-goal lead after goals from Sagosen on penalties and two from captain Bjarte Myrhol.

– I’m a goal hungry guy, Myrhol jokes with TV Norway after the match.

They held that lead for a while, but just minutes from the end of the match, there was only one goal separating the teams. From there, Norway returned to sailing and won by three goals in the end.

The quarterfinals are played on Tuesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *