(Manchester United 0-1 Aston Villa) The British press is relentless with Ole Gunnar Solskjær and Manchester United after yet another defeat. Several are now asking questions about the Norwegian’s qualities as a coach.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as a reader of Aftenposten, you also get articles and services created by VG.
– Of course it’s a concern when we lose matches, says Ole Gunnar Solskjær after Saturday’s loss to Aston Villa at home.
The defeat sets a bad trend for the Manchester United manager, who has had a bit to think about in recent weeks. Three of the last four games ended in losses:
- Defeated 2-1 by the Young Boys’ inaugural match in the Champions League.
- He saved the victory against West Ham in the Premier League after a late goal from Jesse Lingard. In overtime, West Ham’s Mark Noble abused a penalty.
- Eliminated from the League Cup by West Ham.
- Defeated to Aston Villa at home in the Premier League.
– Not close enough, insists United expert Andy Mitten. Twitter.
Solskjær disappointed after United defeat in great final drama: – I don’t like it
A late goal from Kortney Hause was decisive in the last of the defeats. The midfielder jumped into the corner and secured an away win two minutes before the end of time. Things could have been different when the same man drove and gave United a penalty in extra time, but Bruno Fernandes sent the ball skyward from 11 meters.
The “red devils” have conceded goals in 15 of the last 16 games, and reactions cannot wait until after the defeat to Villa.
– A terrible week for Ole Gunnar Solskjær. Every time he takes a step forward, often due to great individual achievements or excellent signings, they quickly collapse again. Not enough for this club with these players, believes the award-winning journalist Daniel Storey, with a background from newspapers such as The Guardian and The Independent.
Solskjær and United have been in favor after several major transfers this summer and a useful start to the season. Now several questions arise as to whether the Norwegian has the qualities to lead the club to a long-awaited Premier League gold or whether the club should look for a replacement.
Solskjær blames Klopp after penalty drought
It has long seemed like Solskjær will make United much better than they were, but he won’t do it better. Unfortunately, introductory Adam crafton hos the athletic
– There is no shame in that. It will be brave of the club to be proactive and acknowledge it. Not all changes to a top team should come after a broken locker room or seventh place, he continues, but emphasizes that he wouldn’t necessarily have fired Solskjær now.
Many believe that Kristiansunderen has a team that should be able to fight for league gold this season. Manchester United have not won a domestic league since 2013, and cannot afford as many mistakes as against Aston Villa if this is going to be the season without the Premier League trophy breaking.
Solskjær failed for the twelfth time: – Putting himself under more pressure
– A very weak result for United. Villa was fine, but United must win these games if they really have title ambitions. Yes United need a central midfielder, but Solskjær still has enough quality in the squad to be a challenger, he writes Henry winter i The Times.
– It is still early, but five points lost in the series, knockout in the league cup and loss in another (Champions League), is bad considering the opposition, writes BBC writer Simon Stone, adding that Solskjær must compete for titles this season.
For the manager, it’s about looking ahead. The 48-year-old urges the troops to fight back against Villarreal in the Champions League in the middle of the week.
– Every time you lose, you have to defend yourself and defend the team. Will serve. We have a great game on Wednesday, and we will be ready after a bad start in the group stage.