Wednesday, October 27

Tistilbekken’s lack of protection was the main reason for the Gjerdrum landslide


GJERDRUM (Aftenposten): Investigators from the Gjerdrum committee have concluded that Tistilbekken’s lack of security is the main cause of the landslide in Gjerdrum, according to Romerikes Blad.

Ten people lost their lives when a large rapid clay landslide occurred at Gjerdrum in Romerike just before New Year 2020.

The avalanche took a total of more than 30 housing units, which headed west of County Highway 120, near the Gjerdrum retirement home. Parts of the town of Ask in Gjerdrum were evacuated.

After almost ten months of work, the expert committee, headed by former Storting politician and Nord-Trøndelag county governor Inge Ryan, can present its conclusions.

The report of the landslide investigators will be presented for the first time at a press conference in Gjerdrum at 12 noon on Wednesday, but it was according to Romerikes Blad lwatch out for relatives in Gjerdrum ungdomsskole on Wednesday morning.

According to the newspaper, the researchers also point to shortages and lack of security over time.

Ryan has previously told Aftenposten that they believe they have found the cause of the landslide. Aftenposten is aware that the committee already this spring agreed on a main theory.

Gjerdrum Avalanche:

For a few seconds, this lightened the mood a bit. Police officer Kenneth Cortsen with his dog, Piko (7), who was injured in a search in the area of ​​the landslide. The photo is from January 4.

– You must learn

– We must learn from the Gjerdrum tragedy. The landslide has created insecurity for many who live in areas with fast clay. Although it is safe to live in intact living clay, I understand very well that many of those who live in those areas have many questions. That is why it is very important that the committee not only investigate the landslide in Gjerdrum, but consider measures to ensure the prevention of such incidents throughout the country, said the Minister of Oil and Energy, Tina Bru, when commissioned the expert group.

This was the assignment that was given to the committee:

  • Work diligently to find the cause of the tragedy.
  • Consider measures to strengthen the prevention of such landslides throughout the country.
  • Assess the risk landscape for buildings and the risk of rapid clay landslides in Norway, division of responsibilities, regulations and management practices.
  • The answer to the last two tasks should be available in a separate report. It will probably arrive in January-February 2022.

Extensive cleaning work

Since the landslide, extensive clean-up work has been carried out in the huge landslide area. As recently as September 8, the police restricted the evacuation zone around the avalanche pit on the advice of NVE.

On September 9, County Highway 120 through Ask was reopened after being closed since the disaster. 25,000 cubic meters of mass was removed from the road after the landslide, NTB wrote.

The mapping of the fast clay zones began on Monday.

The Norwegian Directorate of Water Resources and Energy (NVE) will begin this fall inspections to verify the condition along the fast clay zones in Gjerdrum, Nannestad and Ullensaker, according to NTB.

The start of the inspections was on Monday, that is, two days before the presentation of the report. Most of the work will take place in weeks 39 and 42, has NVE notified.


www.aftenposten.no

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *