– There are some sad days when you have to thank everyone and the people with whom you have worked intensely, says Erna Solberg (H). On Tuesday, she and several other members of the government traveled to the castle to seek the king’s resignation.
Solberg asked to speak after Finance Minister Jan Tore Sanner presented the Solberg government’s latest state budget at the Storting on Tuesday.
– The elections to the Storting on 13 September 2021 have created a parliamentary basis for a new government. Therefore, I will submit a request to resign from the government in the Cabinet today at 1 pm, Solberg told the Storting.
The Storting has been notified. Then the king is informed. With that, she is no longer prime minister.
Around 12:45, several black government cars began to drive past the castle. The prime minister got out of a car. Several of the other ministers were also observed on their way to the castle.
At 1 pm, the government meets in the cabinet in the castle to inform the king of the decision and submit his request for resignation.
– There are sad days in which you have to thank everyone and the people with whom you have worked intensively, both in the political body and in those who work in the public function. You have worked for many years with people you know and like, and now they will serve someone else, outgoing Prime Minister Erna Solberg tells NTB.
This happens until Støre takes over
Meanwhile, Solberg will run a so-called business ministry.
– The government will only take care of what is necessary for the position. No major projects that the new government has in its hands will be launched, Eirik Holmøyvik said of the Ministry of Business Affairs a couple of weeks ago.
He is a professor of law at the University of Bergen.
The Government website states the following about the Ministry of Business Affairs: ‘A Ministry of Business Affairs should not do anything that is opposed by the majority in the Storting. Decisions that the Storting has already made can be implemented. Minor cases and routine administrative cases can also be dealt with, but a business ministry should not make decisions in politically important or controversial cases. “
The king will contact Støre
– I would advise His Majesty the King to address the leader of the Labor Party, Jonas Gahr Støre, as he is the prime minister of the two parties that are ready to form a government, Solberg continued.
After the cabinet meeting, the king will contact Labor leader Jonas Gahr Støre and entrust him with the task of forming a new government, while asking Solberg to continue as head of a business ministry until he is ready. a new government.
The Labor Party and the Center Party have agreed to form a government and have announced that they are ready to present members of the government on Thursday, while the government platform will be presented on Wednesday.
In power for eight years
Erna Solberg’s government has been in power for eight years, for two parliamentary terms. Initially, it was the Conservatives and the Green Party who joined forces to form a government on October 16, 2013, with the Liberal Party and the Christian Popular Party as supporting parties.
In January 2018, the Liberal Party joined the government, and finally also KrF in January of the following year. A year later, again, the FRP left the government on January 24, 2020. Nonetheless, the party has supported the state budgets of the Solberg government.
At 3 pm, the Prime Minister will hold a press conference on the occasion of the request for resignation and the change of government.