A man who had reported the death of his wife several days after her death, and his mistress he was hosting, were indicted and remanded in custody Monday evening, the Montbéliard (Doubs) prosecutor’s office said on Tuesday.
The 55-year-old man and the 40-year-old woman with whom he was having an affair have been indicted for “willful violence resulting in death without intention of giving it”, said the prosecutor of Montbéliard, Ariane Combarel.
The husband had reported on Saturday the death of his wife, aged 60, found dead by police in her living room.
The autopsy of the rotten body revealed that she was killed earlier this week. Traces of hematomas and the fracture of a rib whose origin remains to be established were noted by the forensic doctor who, however, did not detect any weapon wounds.
“The causes of death are not immediately obvious, but the circumstances suggest that it is not completely natural”, according to the magistrate. This emphasizes that “the result of toxicological and anatomopathological analyzes is still missing” to confirm it.
The lovers, unemployed and until now unknown to justice, “did not speak before the examining magistrate”, said the prosecutor, adding that they had mentioned “violence” against the victim while in police custody, but that their statements are “extremely confused”.
The investigation entrusted to the Belfort police station is continuing to determine the circumstances of the death.