He has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the vacant coaching jobs in both HamKam and Sarpsborg, but Jørgen Isnes (42) rejected both when they made contact.
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as an Aftenposten reader, you also get articles and services created by VG.
The YMCA coach himself confirms this to VG. According to Isnes, both elite league clubs contacted him and asked if he wanted to be on their candidate lists. Both received no answers.
– I have one year left on my contract with Kåffa. I am a Kåffa coach, I want to be that, and what may be the Obosliga of all time, which I see as quite a big challenge. Then there are things that happen in Kåffa, says Isnes, who in recent seasons has made the Ekeberg club a stable top team at level two.
In December, they first knocked Sogndal out of qualifying for the Eliteserien, then Fredrikstad in Østfold after a penalty shootout. Then they lost the penultimate qualifier for Jerv, also on penalties.
Sørlandsklubben later moved up after the same script, this time at Brann’s expense in a sensational way.
– You have been clear on your ambitions to come to the Elite Series as a coach. Isn’t it stupid to reject this then?
– I’m only 42. People will probably be a little taken aback and think of ambitions. I know myself what ambitions I have. When the Elite Series is there, we’ll see when it happens. I have a lot to learn and a lot to develop, Isnes counters.
– Do you think that you would have gotten one of the jobs if you had agreed to be a candidate?
– She can. That one is wanted to be a candidate for certain places in Football Norway, tells a lot about what job YMCA has done as a club and what we in the coaching team have done in recent years. I do not think 2022 will be an exception for the YMCA. I know how it can be, says Jørgen Isnes – who emphasizes that the conversations with the two clubs “did not go in depth”.
Sarpsborg is looking for a coach that they did not extend with Lars Bohinen after his short season as head coach there, while HamKam has lost Kjetil Rekdal to Rosenborg after his promotion to the Eliteserien.